Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Is Like Achievements, Fer Yer RL Avatar

Tag, I's it.

So Kirk-what-needs-a-nickname done picked me fer his banned book week meme thingy. Okies. Now, I ain't actually read none of them things on his list - me tastes is more fer pamphlets with scantily clad wimmens on the cover, either throwing theyselves on the heroic warrior or gettin' devoureds by the dragon or both at the same times. But me RL avatar, he done read a buncha books, fer leveling up or rep grinds or ta keep that happy bar all green, and near as I can figger he done read the followings:

5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
13. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
17. A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck
22. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
25. In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
38. Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
41. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
43. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
47. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
52. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
55. Cujo by Stephen King
56. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
58. Boys and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
69. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
84. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
88. Where’s Waldo? by Martin Hanford
90. Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman
95. Girls and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
96. How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell

Some solid literaturizings, some kiddy stuff, and a coupla how-to manuals. Some of these I can figger out how they made the list - ignorant blunkertumpers is always freakin' out over dirty words and the fact that sex exists. Guess they think if ya don't talk about it'll just go away. Not sure what they thinks the alternatives is though; mebbe they just don't thinks.

Anywho, Kirk done be challenging me ta send the avatar out ta read anuther fuhggin' book off the list. Ain't hadda chance ta pick one yet. Don't need any more how-to books - got that department covered now. And Judy Bloomers never were ta me likings. And I ain't readin' one of them sophomoric, shock you with sex books, 'cause, well, I do it way better. So it gotta be one of them others. Think I'll go with Lord of Them Flies - see if I can figger out what all the fusses were about.

And since the retrofitted rules sez I's supposed ta tag some other buggers fer this, I's goin' with:
Egolicious
Kallopiallapy
Matticus Worldicus
Asleep at the Library
Damn Pretty in Plates

4 comments:

Hexapuma said...

How to eat worms... is it after that book people decide to roll orc? =)

Anonymous said...

*grins* Rather than reposting (I know, I know, I'm such a fuddy duddy), I'll just comment here.

See, I don't remember all the books I read. I know what happens in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and I remember holding the book, but I don't remember READING it.

I'd say I can guarantee I've read at least twenty of those, and I know enough about at least half of them to pass a test on them.

I will also say that I probably only ENJOYED about ten of them.

And that's the real reason I'm not doing my own post. I love reading. When I was a kid, the only time I didn't have a book in hand is when I was in the shower. But I read for enjoyment, not whatever someone else may call literary quality.

I read and loved the Xanth series, by Piers Anthony. I read it now and cringe a little, but at the time, they were an incredible window into a world that I had never even imagined. Most of the books I enjoyed would be on a banned book list (I had a very churchy family friend who I loaned books to. I found out later that she HID them from her parents - a mind-boggling behavior to me at the time - and that once found, her mother yelled at her for reading devil books. one of the books, I remember clearly, was called Pyromancer, which was an OBVIOUS devil book.)

Anyrate, didn't want you to think I didn't notice being tagged. <3

It's just one of those soapboxes that, once I get up on it good and solid, I can stay on for HOURS. Best I spend that time not yelling madly about how the sky is falling and its the end of the world and all that rot.

Brierley said...

Hi,
I am not sure if all of the Need More Rage group will enjoy Lord of the Flies, but I am pretty sure Elspeth will. Her favorite charachters will be Roger (a belf in human disguise I am sure) and Jack a leader she could hang with.

Me personally, as a resto druid, I always think of myself as personality wise more of Simon or Piggy, so I have sworn to never read that book again because I found it too scary *sniff*.

Laoin said...

Another good book on that list is Pillars of the Earth. I read it recently, and almost couldn't put it down. Still waiting on the sequel to show up for me and my mother to fight over for reading rights. :)

I just don't get why some of these books are even on this list, if it's "for the children" as she states... Stephen King is certainly not a children's book author, and never claimed to be. And Mark Twain?? Seriously, there is nothing wrong with half those books - I read them as a child and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I /pfft at the idiots who helped make this a list of 'most challenged'. But that's just me.